Usually souffle calls for butter and eggs, but instead I use egg whites and nonfat-cooking spray – cutting about 200 calories, and it’s still delicious. ^_^
By my calculations, one slice of this is less than 200 calories. :D
What You Need:
- 1 Lb of cut asparagus (about 1/2 inch pieces)
- 3 tbsp butter (olive oil butter) This is variable, as you’ll see in the instructions.
- 3 tbsp chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp flour (plain or wheat)
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheese
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 3 beaten egg yolks
- 6 beaten egg whites
- nonstick cooking spray
What You Do:
- Okay, so, first think about your presentation. Do you want a square or round souffle? I used a square baking dish. Either way, the dish should hold 2 quarts in it. In another pot, fill it with about 3/4 of a quart with water and bring it to a boil with medium-high heat. Add in the sea salt, asparagus, and boil for 30 seconds. Remove and drain the water, but keep 1/4 of the cup of liquid.
- Preheat your oven to 375. In a pan, melt the butter over medium heat, add the onions and saute for about 4 minutes. Add the flour and stir it all. Personally, I like to try and use less butter and more cooking spray to get the same results. You should play around with this to find your own preference.
- Then, add the milk and asparagus liquid. Keep stirring till it all gets a bit thick (your pan needs to be large enough for all this, btw).
- Finally, add the cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and squeeze some lemon juice into it. Now, keep stirring till the cheese is all melted and the mixture is thickened.
- Add the beaten yolks into a mixing bowl. Whisk in 1/3 of the cheesy mixture and keep whisking (if you’re doing this in front of people, you’ll look really cool at this point in time).
- Add in the remaining mixture (cheese and asparagus) and keep whisking!
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Now, transfer your awesome stuff into the baking dish (coated with the cooking spray) and bake for 30-35 minutes.
What It Will Look Like: