What You Need:
- 1 pound ripe or overripe apricots (about 5), halved, pitted, and sliced into roughly 1-inch-thick wedges
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 thick slices brioche
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
What You Do:
- Mix apricots with 3 tablespoons sugar.
- Place leftover 5 tablespoons sugar on a plate and coat each brioche slice.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add 2 brioche slices to pan and cook 2-3 minutes until golden brown on bottoms.
- Flip slices, add 1 tablespoon butter, and cook until other sides are golden brown.
- Move to a plate and repeat with other 2 slices.
- Wipe out pan and increase heat to medium-high.
- Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter and cook for ~3 minutes, swirling pan occasionally, until butter is golden brown.
- Add apricots and salt and cook, swirling pan to coat apricots in butter, until heated through, about 1 minute more.
- Remove pan from heat, add water, and swirl to create a smooth sauce. Divide brioche among 4 plates. Top each with apricots, sauce, and a scoop of ice cream.
- Serve immediately to hungry guests!